Cornell Local Roads Program

Quick Answers: Safety-Worker

Are there any resources that can summarize the program and training requirements of the PESH standards that typically apply to highway and Public Works Departments? (12/11/18)

Why do I need to use personal protective equipment (PPE) and what are the best ways to use them? (5/30/18)

Can we still use our old “Men Working” signs until they wear out before we need to switch to the newer Road Work Ahead signs? (5/16/18)

What are the drug and alcohol testing requirements for DOT CDL drivers?

What performance level is needed for high-visibility safety apparel in a work zone?

When can a single flagger be used?

Where do I find guides for placarding hazardous materials on a truck?

What are ways to protect against trench cave-ins?

What should be done if someone gets burned by hot liquid asphalt?

What permit processes should the Town have in place to handle new, buried private utilities that cross under the road?

Do municipal trucks need to have fire extinguishers?


Can a CDL driver go back to safety-sensitive work after a post-accident alcohol and drug test, but before the results are known?

What training and certification is needed for flaggers?


What are work zone traffic control standards in New York State?

Can I use my old steel barrels and homemade wooden barricades in a work zone?


Are there any requirements for how many and how bright yellow (amber) flashing lights are to be on work trucks?

How does the new “Move Over” law apply to highway personnel?

Are there any laws that address the placement of snow onto the sidewalks after the town has cleared them?


Does the law about cell phone usage and texting apply to government workers?

Are there new sizes for work zone signs?

What traffic control is required in a nightime work zone?


What are the requirements for safety vests in the right-of-way?

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License icon

This work by the Cornell Local Roads Program (CLRP) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.